Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Shepherd's Pie

I love this recipe, but I don't get to make it very often because the hubby doesn't like shepherd's pie. I think shepherd's pie is one of those things that you can change up easily to suite your own taste. I keep mine really simple so that it's easy to throw together with stuff I already have in my pantry. You can choose to cook this in the slow cooker or in the oven, so you can even tailor the cooking method to fit your day.

There seems to be two main types of recipes for shepherd's pie: tomato based and mushroom based. I prefer to use cream of mushroom soup or cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic, but if you prefer a tomato based shepherd's pie, use tomato soup! I also like to switch up the mashed potatoes. Since I rarely take the time to make real mashed potatoes, I usually buy packets of instant potatoes. There are tons of flavors to choose from! I really like garlic and parmesan red potatoes, but four cheese and loaded baked potato flavors are good too. This would also be an excellent way to use up leftover mashed potatoes!


Shepherd's Pie


1 lb. ground beef
1 can french cut green beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can condensed cream of mushroom or tomato soup, undiluted
4 c. mashed potatoes
2 c. cheese

Brown ground beef and drain. Stir in green beans, corn, and soup. Pour into slow cooker or 8x8 baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes. If using a slow cooker, cover and cook on low 5-6 hours. Top with cheese the last 30 minutes of cooking. If using the oven, top with cheese, then bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment