Monday, May 14, 2012

Strawberry Spinach Salad

Did you get a bunch of spinach in your Bountiful Basket this week? Did you look at it and think, "What am I going to do with that?" I did. It's not that I don't like spinach, because I do. I just never seem to get around to using it. I'll throw a handful in a smoothie every now and then, but then I kind of forget about it. My husband and I love spinach dip, but I've never really gotten fresh spinach to work as well as frozen spinach in either spinach dip recipe I use. The one time I did make it work, I had to steam the spinach before I used it in the dip, and you know me, I hate extra steps. I also needed twice the spinach I got in my basket, and I also hate having to buy more produce from the grocery store.

Luckily, I picked up a free cookbook at a local health fair a couple weeks ago, and there are a couple different recipes for spinach salad in it. Salad seemed like a great idea! It would be simple and I could use all the spinach up at once.  The recipe I chose to try has a strawberry dressing, which doesn't have any oil in it, which is great for my diet. It also used up more strawberries which is a plus, since I still have some left from last week! It turned out good! It's a nice change of pace from the usual salad. If there was any left over from dinner last night, I would have eaten it for lunch today.


Strawberry Spinach Salad


Salad:

1 bunch spinach
1 c. sliced strawberries
1/4 c. sliced almonds
2 oz. feta cheese

Dressing:

7 large strawberries
1 lemon, juiced
agave nectar or honey to taste
salt & pepper to taste

Mix salad ingredients together in medium bowl. Place dressing ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Taste dressing and adjust agave or honey and salt and pepper as needed. Just before serving, toss salad with dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment