Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Fruity Pebbles Treats

I've loved Rice Krispies treats for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid my mom used to buy the large bag of marshmallows so that they'd be extra marshmallowy. Good times! Several years ago, when Bud and I were first married, he asked me to make treats with Fruity Pebbles instead of Rice Krispies. They were good! But truth be told, I kind of forgot about them until Post cereals were on sale at the grocery store this week. Fruity Pebbles was the one kind of Post cereal that I didn't have a coupon for, but when I saw them I thought, "Mmm...Fruity Pebbles treats..." So I bought them and a bag of marshmallows and the rest is history.

I mentioned before that when I was a kid my mom would buy the big bag of marshmallows. I'm too cheap to do that. It's much cheaper to buy the regular 10 oz. bag. I tried making Rice Krispies treats with the recipe on the box, but they weren't gooey enough, so I started reducing the amount of cereal. It works like a charm! This is my adjusted version of the recipe for Rice Krispies treats that they put on the box, and this time I used Fruity Pebbles, of course, but it works just the same with either cereal. I also think it would be great to do half of one and half of the other. Using all Fruity Pebbles makes them really, really sweet (but still oh-so delicious). I think if you used half and half, you'd get the flavor of the Fruity Pebbles, but maybe it wouldn't be so overwhelming.


Fruity Pebbles Treats

1 (10 oz.) bag large marshmallows
3 Tbs. butter
5 c. Fruity Pebbles or Rice Krispies

Spray a 13x9" pan with cooking spray. In large microwave-safe bowl, microwave marshmallows and butter for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Add cereal and stir gently until evenly coated. Pour into pan. Rub butter on or spray your hands with cooking spray; press cereal mixture into pan. Cool, cut and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment