Saturday, March 31, 2012

Today's Basket

It was such a relief to pick up a basket today! After a week and half without a basket I start to go through withdrawals. I hope this one lasts a while because all sites will take next weekend off for Easter! Hopefully I'll be camping and wouldn't be able to pick one up anyway.

Without further ado, here's what I got in my Bountiful Basket today: romaine lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, Minneola tangerines, grapefruit, pineapple, bananas, and pears. I also bought a case of Minneola tangerines. They remind me of an orange, only sweeter and juicier.


I've been pretty busy today so I haven't put a lot of thought into how I might use everything this week. The nice thing about this week's produce is that you don't really have to do anything special with it. Each vegetable would make an easy side dish for just about any meal and each fruit would be delicious as a snack, and that's probably how I'll use everything this week. If I do anything particularly different with any of it, I will be sure to post the recipe! In the meantime, here are a few ideas, just in case you're drawing a blank on anything.

Romaine lettuce: green salad, sandwiches

Asparagus: roast or saute it

Broccoli: cheesy potato chowder (substitute one head broccoli for the carrots), broccoli salad

Sweet potatoes: sweet potato fries

Cauliflower: roast it baby!

Grape tomatoes: salad, eat as a snack

Minneola tangerines: snack, smoothies

Grapefruit: snack

Pineapple: snack, smoothies, grilled

Bananas: snack, smoothies, frozen chocolate & peanut butter covered bananas

Pears: snack, smoothies, pear crisp

No comments:

Post a Comment