Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chile Verde Stew

I love chile verde. From what I can tell, there are two different types of chile verde. One is mostly pork in a green chile sauce and is a great filling for burritos and tacos. The other is more of a pork stew. I've had both and love them both! This particular recipe is for the stew.

Depending on the chiles and the salsa verde you use, it can be REALLY hot, so be aware of that. The first few times I made it I bought a jar of mild salsa verde, but it was still really spicy, so that's when I started making my own salsa verde. I've been able to tame it down considerably that way. The last time I made it, I cooked it in the slow cooker, and I think that also helped mellow it quite a bit. If you choose to cook it in a slow cooker, don't forget to reduce the liquid.

In addition to making my own salsa verde to use in this recipe, I also roast my own green chiles. I know that making your own salsa and roasting your own green chiles just for some soup seems like an awful lot of work, but it's so good that it's worth it. If you plan ahead a little, it's a lot easier. I roast the peppers and tomatillos for my salsa verde, so I roast my green chiles at the same time. If you're going to cook the chile verde the slow cooker, you'll want to roast everything and make the salsa verde the day before. If you're going to cook it on the stovetop, you can do everything the same day. That being said, you can buy salsa verde and roasted green chiles at the store if you're in a hurry. I've never seen them, but I've heard that you can buy frozen roasted green chiles. I think you could also used the canned variety, but I've never tried them in the recipe because I seem to have an endless supply of my own roasted green chiles.


Chile Verde Stew

from allrecipes.com


1 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. cubed pork stew meat
salt and pepper to taste
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. chopped roasted green chiles
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c. tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
5 c. (or 3 cans) chicken broth 
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 pinch ground cloves

Stovetop Directions:

In large soup kettle or dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium heat. Season pork with salt and pepper. Add to heated oil and brown on all sides. Remove pork and set aside. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion softens and becomes translucent. Return pork to pan and add green chiles, tomatoes, salsa, broth, oregano, and cloves. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Take 2 c. of stew and place in a blender, being careful not to scoop up any pork. Cover lid of blender with a dish towel and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pan. Continue to simmer for at least 35 minutes.

Slow Cooker Directions:

Heat oil in a frying pan. Season pork with salt and pepper. Add to heated oil and brown on all sides. Remove pork and place in greased slow cooker. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion softens and becomes translucent. Add to slow cooker along with chiles, tomatoes, salsa, and 2 cans (about 3 c.) chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Take 2 c. of stew and place in a blender, being careful not to scoop up any pork. Cover lid of blender with a dish towel and blend until smooth. Return mixture to slow cooker. Add oregano and cloves. Cover and cook on low for another 3-4 hours. If you want a thicker consistency, add 1-2 Tbs. instant mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment