Friday, July 20, 2012

Slow Cooker Cinnamon Apples

The last time I got a Bountiful Basket, I got three bags of apples. I didn't weigh them but I'm guessing it was around six pounds total. Dang. That is a lot of apples! I figured I would probably make apple pie or something like that, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. We went on a little weekend trip to southern Colorado with my in-laws and we ate dinner at Chili's one night. My in-laws both ordered ribs, which came with cinnamon apples. They're pretty tasty. A few days later, back at home, we were having them over for dinner and I thought that would be a perfect time to make something with apples. My husband smoked pork chops and I thought of those cinnamon apples at Chili's! I searched Pinterest and found a super simple recipe for the slow cooker.

Words cannot express how pleased I am with this recipe. It only has a few ingredients, all of which I already had on hand. I realize most of you won't have minute tapioca in your pantry, but I did. Don't worry about buying a whole box just for this recipe. It works great as a thickener in stews too! You'll find something to do with the rest of it. My favorite thing about this recipe is that it's a slow cooker recipe. I've been trying to use my slow cooker a lot lately. When it gets into the 90s outside, I don't feel much like cooking, plus we always seem to be busy doing fun stuff. The slow cooker saves me a lot of hassle. True, this recipe takes a little while to throw together because you have to peel and chop the apples, but it's not so bad when you're not trying to do that plus prepare all your other dishes.


Slow Cooker Cinnamon Apples

from Runs for Cookies Recipes


3 lbs. apples, peeled, cored, and sliced or chopped (about 8 c.)
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbs. Minute Tapioca
1 tsp. apple pie spice or 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Place apples in greased slow cooker. Toss with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours. I cooked mine for 4 hours and they were still a little crisp-tender, not soggy at all. I served them as a side dish but they would be so good served warm over vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment