Thursday, July 19, 2012

Shower Soothers

A few years ago a company called Sudacare came out with Shower Soothers. They were disks you put in your shower and as they dissolved they released vapors that helped clear your congestion. My husband and I both loved them, so of course, they don't make them any more. One day on Pinterest I saw a recipe for DIY shower disks. They use essential oils, and since I have recently gotten into using essential oils, I was excited to try them out!

If you use essential oils, you probably know what works best as a decongestant for you. The original post calls for eucalyptus, lavender, and rosemary. I already had the Breezey blend by Butterfly Essentials and the Breathe blend by doTERRA, so the first two times I tried those blends. Neither one worked great for me, but they hadn't been working great when I put them on my chest either. After battling a cold for a week and experimenting with different oils, I figured out that a strong blend of eucalyptus and peppermint works best for me, so that's what I used in the rest of my shower soothers. My shower is also big and pretty open, so I had to use a lot of essential oil in each disk, like 15-20 drops. I bet that you wouldn't need as much oil for use in a regular sized shower.


Shower Soothers

adapted from Frugal by Choice, Cheap by Necessity


1 c. baking soda
1/3 c. water
essential oil (I suggest a blend eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender, or a respiratory blend of your choice)

Preheat oven to 350°. In mixing bowl, mix baking soda and water, adding more water 1 Tbs. at a time, until a putty-like consistency is reached. Line muffin tin with paper liners. You'll only need 5-6. Spoon mixture into liners. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool. Add 10-20 drops essential oils to each cooled disk.

No comments:

Post a Comment