Sunday, April 8, 2012

Avocado Deviled Eggs

I am not a big fan of eggs. I don't mind the occasional scrambled egg, particularly if it has bacon and potatoes in it, but that's where my tolerance of eggs ends. Like a lot of things, I'm trying to acquire a taste for eggs, as they are easy to fix and a great source of protein. Last night I decided to dye Easter eggs with Bonnie Mae at the last minute. She had fun and the Easter Bunny hid them while she was sleeping so she could hunt for them this morning. And then I had a dozen eggs staring at me, saying, "Please don't let us go to waste!" (Being less wasteful is something else I'm working on.)

Since we were having a hot dog roast at my in-laws today, I decided at the last minute to try to make deviled eggs. It was the eggs' only chance at getting eaten. I vaguely remembered seeing some jazzed up deviled egg recipes in magazine and on Pinterest. I'd never really paid attention to them, of course, since I never planned to make such a thing. I thought that maybe if I tried something fun that included a flavor other than egg yolk, maybe I could talk myself into trying a deviled egg. The first recipe I pulled up on Pinterest was for avocado deviled eggs. Since you use avocado in place of most of the mayonnaise, it seemed like a great one to try.

Amazingly enough, I didn't hate them! I actually ate one whole egg! That being said, I'm not entirely satisfied with the results, but that's not the recipe's fault. When I was making them the internet at my in-laws house wouldn't work, so I made the recipe from memory. They were a little bland to me, but that's probably because I didn't remember the pepper or the ground mustard. I wanted to share the recipe because like I said, I think it's so great that avocado takes the place of most of the mayonnaise. I know avocado is still fattening, but it's got to be a healthier alternative, right?

Next time I think I will use a little Miracle Whip Light in place of the mayonnaise and add a couple pieces of cooked and crumbled bacon. I suppose you could use turkey bacon if you wanted, but I'm pretty sure whoever decided that turkey bacon would make a good substitute for pork bacon had never actually tasted bacon before. Hello! Turkey bacon tastes nothing like regular bacon. Period. Anyway, maybe you can play with the recipe a little too and come up with something super duper delicious! Or you know, just make the recipe with the pepper and ground mustard like you're supposed to. I bet that will work fabulously too.

Oh yeah, about my picture...my eggs are not pretty. All the pins on Pinterest were of these gorgeous eggs that had filling piped back into them in pretty designs. I thought about whipping out a pastry bag, but then I decided that was silly. Who really does that? Not me! And since I want this blog to be about things that are EASY to do, piping filling into perfect little egg cups doesn't really seem to fit. 



Avocado Deviled Eggs 

from Mother Thyme


6 peeled hard boiled eggs
1 ripe avocado peeled and pit removed
1 1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. freshly chopped parsley
1/8 tsp. ground mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Halve eggs lengthwise. Remove yolks and set whites aside. In small bowl, combine yolks with the rest of the ingredients. Mash together until smooth. I used a potato masher but I bet a fork would work great too. Spoon yolk mixture back into egg whites. Sprinkle with more parsley if desired. I doubled the recipe to use a dozen eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment