Saturday, April 14, 2012

Today's Basket

Wow, today I got an awesome basket. I volunteered this morning and let me just say that distributing nine apples a piece into ninety-six baskets kicked my butt. I happened to distribute the Italian squash too, but it wasn't as bad. The good news is I got in a good workout and I got extra brussels sprouts for my trouble!

Today my basket included brussels sprouts, onions, green bell peppers, Italian squash (like zucchini), yellow squash, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, bananas, pears, Minneola tangerines, lemons, kiwis, and apples.


I think everything is pretty simple to use up this week, just as it was the last time I got a basket two weeks ago. I envision eating most of the fruit as is, and as for the vegetables, I am seeing dishes that use multiple items like kabobs or green salad. Nothing too complicated this week!

My only suggestions are really for the lemons: if you don't use them, squeeze the juice into ice cube trays and freeze it. I like to measure mine so I know how much is in each cube. I find most recipes use 1 tsp. If you freeze it in 1 tsp. portions, whenever you have a recipe that calls for lemon juice, all you have to do is thaw the amount you need and ta da! You have fresh lemon juice. Besides that, I have a fun recipe for lemon coconut cookies, or you can always just slice a lemon and serve it with your water.

If you got a basket an need ideas for any particular item, let me know! I'll see what I can come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment