Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fritos Salad

I get romaine lettuce from Bountiful Baskets a lot. That's not a bad thing, but my husband has never really liked leafy green lettuce. He's an iceberg lettuce kind of guy. He is a pretty good sport about eating romaine lettuce because he appreciates how much money we save by buying a basket, but I know he still really doesn't like it. For some reason, romaine lettuce seems to be less noticeable in Fritos salad.

Fritos salad is something that my mother-in-law makes. I don't know if she found a recipe for it or just made it up, but it's delicious. I was a little unsure about it at first because I haven't always been a huge fan of beans, but I'm coming around to them. Now it's one of my favorite salads to make. It's a great way to use up a head of romaine and my daughter loves beans, so it's a great way to get her to eat some vegetables! Plus there's something about the saltiness of the Fritos and the sweet Catalina dressing that just tastes so good.


Fritos Salad

1 head lettuce, chopped (any kind will do)
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced (pick your favorite color!)
1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup Fritos (I usually just dump some in, so I'm guessing I use about a cup)
1/2 bottle Catalina dressing (I usually use light Catalina but if you're not watching what you eat, go for Kraft Honey Catalina!)

If you're taking this to a pot luck, throw everything in a big bowl and mix! I think it tastes the best like this. However, leftovers don't survive like this because the dressing makes everything soggy. So if you want to eat it for a few days, just mix up the vegetables, then add the Fritos and dressing as you eat it. I did that last night, which means I get to have some for lunch today. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment