Friday, April 20, 2012

Summer Vegetable Tian

My husband has been out of town for longer than we thought he would, and since I pick up a new Bountiful Basket in a couple days, I thought I better start using up some of our vegetables. The kiddo and I have no problem going through fruit, but when I don't cook, our vegetables tend to get left out. What's particularly awesome about this recipe is it uses four items from my basket! I love recipes like that!

I pinned this recipe a while ago, and on Saturday when I picked up my basket one of my friends told me she had seen that I'd pinned it, and she had made it before and it was delicious! She was excited that we'd gotten all the ingredients for it so she could make it again. Since my husband thinks the only way he can eat squash is if it's battered and fried, I thought this recipe would be great to try while he's gone. Let me just say, it was a hit. I will be making it again, even when he is home!

The original recipe called for a potato. I left it out for two reasons: one, I'm back on Weight Watchers and potatoes cost points, and two, I didn't have a potato. The original recipe also called for one whole onion, but since I don't love onions, I only used 1/4 of one. If you love onions, feel free to use a whole one! If you got a basket and are using the squash and roma tomatoes, you'll have to cut up three squash (I cut up one yellow and two Italian) and three tomatoes because they are so small.


Summer Vegetable Tian

adapted from Budget Bytes

1/4 c. onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced 
1 tsp. dried thyme
salt & pepper to taste
1 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Spray 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread onions and garlic on bottom of dish. Arrange other vegetables in a vertical position in an alternating pattern. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, add cheese, and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until cheese it melted and starting to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment