Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Slow Cooker Funeral Potatoes

I love funeral potatoes. For those of you who aren't from Utah, funeral potatoes are basically scalloped potatoes with a corn flake topping. They're commonly served at funeral luncheons, hence the name. I'd never actually made my own funeral potatoes, but when I saw this recipe I had to try it. Technically it's a recipe for scalloped potatoes, and the original recipe called for cream of potato soup. I thought, "Hey! I can use cream of chicken soup and it will be just like funeral potatoes!" So that's what I did. Granted, they don't have the corn flake topping, but I don't really miss it. What I really like is that you can throw these in a few hours before dinner, then you don't have to worry about cooking a side dish and your main dish at the same time.



Slow Cooker Funeral Potatoes
adapted from kraftrecipes.com

1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 c. sour cream (fat free works just fine)
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 medium ones)
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1/2 tsp. paprika
3 Tbs. chopped chives (which I omitted)

In large bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce. Add potatoes and stir until coated. Add 1/3 of potatoes to slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray. Add 1/2 the cheese. Then add half of remaining potatoes, all of remaining cheese, and top with all remaining potatoes. Cover and cook on high for 3 1/2-4 1/2 hours. In my experience, 3 1/2 hours is plenty of time but your slow cooker may be different. Stir well and sprinkle with paprika and chives, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment