Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes

When I saw the red potatoes in my Bountiful Basket, I immediately thought of garlic mashed potatoes. I'd never made any before, but it sounded good, and I had garlic from my Mexican pack. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that looked amazing and had awesome reviews, but it had a ridiculous amount of butter in it and it called for cheese, which makes it that much more fattening. So I kept looking and found a recipe on weightwatchers.com. It didn't have any butter, but still sounded good, so I tried it out. It was good, although I'm pretty certain the recipe on allrecipes.com would be better, but we all have to make sacrifices, right? If you're one of the lucky people who doesn't have to make sacrifices, you should try this recipe and let me know how delicious it turns out. In the meantime, here is the reduced fat recipe.



Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes


8 small-medium red potatoes
4 cloves garlic, whole
1/4 c. fat free sour cream
1/4 c. fat free milk (I can't do skim so I used 1%...don't tell)
2 Tbs. minced fresh chives (I didn't have any so I left them out)
salt and pepper to taste

Chop potatoes into uniform chunks. I left the peel on, but feel free to peel them if you want. Peel garlic cloves. Place potatoes and garlic in large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and boil for 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender (mine took 10 minutes, maybe a little longer). Drain water off potatoes. Add sour cream, milk, chives, salt, and pepper and mash with a potato masher until they reach your desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment