Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Posse Stew

This is one of my go-to recipes. It's great during the colder months and in the summer time it's a great camping recipe! I made it over the weekend because I had a pound of ground beef that I needed to cook and the wind was howling and it was chilly outside, so soup seemed like a good idea. I got this recipe from my aunt several years ago and it's always been a big hit. I forget to buy hominy sometimes, but I buy all the other canned ingredients by the case, so I always have the ingredients on hand. If you don't have hominy or don't like it, add in 2 diced potatoes instead.



Posse Stew


1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, finely diced (I only used a half of a small onion)
1 can chili beans
1 can corn
1 can hominy OR 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chiles (I used 1/2 c. of my frozen Hatch chiles)
water (I use an empty vegetable can to measure the water)
salt & pepper to taste
sugar to taste (maybe 1/2-1 tsp.)

Brown ground beef with onion in soup kettle or dutch oven. Drain. Add all canned ingredients with their liquids. Add water to reach your desired consistency. For this batch I used potatoes instead of hominy, so I had to add a whole can of water. Usually I only add 1/2 a can. Add salt, pepper, and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment