Thursday, May 3, 2012

Meatball Sub Casserole

I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago, then earlier this week my friend mentioned on facebook that she had made it. She said it was good so I got excited to try it. We had it for dinner last night and it did not disappoint! I knew it would make more than we could eat, so I split it into two 8x8 pans so I could freeze half of it. As the oven was heating up, things got a little chaotic at my house and I forgot I had food on the counter, and our dog Penny ate half of the casserole I had intended to bake. Luckily I still had the other one in the freezer so I just baked it instead (I had just barely put it in the freezer so it hadn't even started to freeze yet).



Meatball Sub Casserole

from Confessions of a Semi-Domesticated Mama


1 bag frozen meatballs or 1 whole recipe of Easy Meatballs
1 loaf French or Italian bread (I used parmesan herb Italian bread)
1 (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, softened (I used fat free)
1/2 c. mayonnaise (I used reduced fat mayo with olive oil)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 (24-26 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice bread and lay it in bottom of ungreased 13x9 pan or 2 ungreased 8x8 pans. In small bowl, mix cream cheese, mayo, Italian seasoning, and pepper until smooth. Spread over bread. Sprinkle with half of mozzarella. Top with meatballs. Pour spaghetti sauce over meatballs and top with remaining cheese. If you are freezing half of it, freeze it before you bake it (at least that's what I'm guessing, since I didn't actually get to test this theory, thanks to Penny). Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment