Monday, May 7, 2012

Green Beans with Bacon

I realized this morning that I forgot to take a picture of the green beans I made last night, but I wanted to share the recipe anyway, since some of you will have green beans to cook from your Bountiful Basket. The original recipe has you bundle the green beans with strips of bacon and bake them, which I'm sure looks very nice, but is way too much extra work for me. I don't care if my vegetables look fancy, I just want them to taste good, and these do. The original recipe also called for white wine vinegar, but I didn't have any, so I used balsamic and it was great. I'm sure red wine or cider vinegar would also work well, so use what you have on hand.

Green Beans with Bacon

adapted from allrecipes.com


1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled, with 3 Tbs. bacon grease reserved
1 Tbs. finely chopped onion
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook the beans until crisp-tender and drain. I steamed mine, but I'm sure you could boil them too. Just before serving, heat reserved bacon grease. Add onion and saute until tender. Add crumbled bacon, vinegar, sugar, and salt, and heat through (it only takes 1 minute, if that). Pour over green beans and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment