Friday, June 1, 2012

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken

This is another recipe that I've been making for several years, one of my go-to recipes. Shortly after we got married I got a cookbook called 101 Things to Do with a Slow Cooker. It's filled with super easy recipes for the slow cooker that use common ingredients. This was one of the first recipes I tried from it and it's probably my favorite. You can use any barbecue sauce you like. You can also use frozen chicken breasts, although I think it makes a thinner (but still good) sauce.

Today I'm really excited about this recipe because I tried something new. I bought a 5 lb. package of chicken breasts. I used 4 in the slow cooker today for this recipe. I had 3 leftover. I also had about 10 oz. of crushed pineapple left because instead of an 8 oz. can I used half of a 20 oz. can. I remembered looking at a blog post about throwing all the ingredients for a slow cooker meal into a freezer bag and freezing it, so that when you are ready to cook it you just have to throw it in the slow cooker and turn it on. The recipe I had read about was some sort of teriyaki chicken. This seemed kind of similar to that, so I mixed up an extra batch of sauce, put the chicken breasts in the freezer bag, poured the sauce in, and stuck it in the freezer. I can't wait to see if it works! I'll keep you posted.


Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken


4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 4)
1 (16 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle)
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained (or half of a 20 oz. can, whatever)

Place chicken breasts in slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray. Mix barbecue sauce and pineapple together and pour over chicken. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.* Serve over rice.

*I cooked mine on low for 6 hours, shredded it, and put it back in the slow cooker on low for another hour, maybe hour and a half. I prefer it shredded but it's up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment