Thursday, June 21, 2012

Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash

I was really excited to see a spaghetti squash in my Bountiful Basket this week. I'd never had spaghetti squash before and I'm always happy to try something new. I hadn't given much thought to how I was going to cook it when someone shared a link on the BB facebook page about cooking spaghetti squash in a slow cooker. I couldn't believe my luck! To me, cooking something in the slow cooker is almost like not having to cook. You throw ingredients in the pot, turn it on, and a few hours later you have dinner.

This is more of a cooking method than a recipe. After the squash is done cooking in the slow cooker, you can serve it however you want. They say you can use any sauce you'd normally use on pasta. I went fairly simple and just topped it with butter, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. I thought it was delicious! I hope to get more spaghetti squash in the future so I can try some other variations. I also hope to try cooking other winter squash in the slow cooker. I saw a recipe somewhere for acorn squash in the slow cooker (it was an actual recipe with seasonings) so I definitely want to try that out!


Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash

from about.com



1 spaghetti squash (pick one that will fit whole in your slow cooker)
2 c. water

Pour water into slow cooker. With a large fork or skewer, poke holes in spaghetti squash. Place in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours. Split, remove seeds, and scrape strands into a serving dish. Serve as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment