Monday, June 4, 2012

This Week's Basket

Wow, it's already noon on Monday? Where did the time go? I did get a Bountiful Basket this week, but I am just now getting around to posting about it. I didn't get anything too wild and crazy, but I did get two heads of garlic. I know I can pickle it, but the real question is, am I ambitious enough to tackle that this week? Ha ha! If not, I guess I'll be making recipes with minced garlic! If your lettuce was wilted from being outside in the heat, don't stress. Stick it in ice water for a while and it will crisp right up.


This week my basket included grape tomatoes, romaine lettuce, potatoes, avocado, garlic, pineapple, canary melon, bananas, peaches, oranges (I think they're oranges that aren't quite ripe but I haven't cut one open so I'm not 100% sure), and strawberries. If you haven't already planned your menu for the week, here are some ideas.

Grape tomatoes: pasta salad, green salad, bacon macaroni salad, or eat them like candy, which is what I'll probably do

Romaine lettuce: green salad, lettuce wraps, or grilled

Potatoes: baked, fried, potato salad, or funeral potatoes

Avocado: green salad or sandwiches

Garlic: pickled or minced to use in various recipes

Pineapple: grilled, smoothies, or chopped and eaten raw

Canary melon: chopped and eaten raw

Bananas: I don't expect mine to be ripe any time soon, but if yours are ripe, try smoothies, banana bread, banana cream pie, or just peel and eat them

Peaches: smoothies or peel, dice, sprinkle with a little sweetener (I like Truvia), and pour fat free half & half on top

Oranges: smoothies, fresh orange juice, or orange dreamsicle cookies

Strawberries: strawberries & cream, smoothies, or dip in yogurt and freeze


No comments:

Post a Comment